Now known as Christ United Methodist Church, the United Brethren Church was organized in 1888, with 13 families, comprising 24 members. The meetings were held in the office of the new Buckeye Stave Company Mill, on Oak Street. As no clergy minister was here at the time, meetings were called “Sunday School,” with bible readings, the study of the word, and ending in prayer led by lay people
The first church was erected under the pastorate of Rev. Light. He headed a fundraising and pledge drive. Four churches came together in the Marice City circuit to build the church. Marice City, now Continental, Kieferville, Wisterman, and Forest Grove, all United Brethren denominations, brought between $2500 and $3000 to the Marice City congregation, for a new church. The new church was started in 1891, and dedicated in January 1893.
By 1905 the Continental Circuit became a 5-point charge, adding South Mt. Zion. In 1928 the congregation decided to build a new church with separate classrooms for Sunday school as well as other modern facilities. While the old church was being leveled and the new one built, services were held in the school gymnasium. The new church was dedicated on a Sunday in November 1928.
In 1946 there was a merger of the Evangelical Church and the United Brethren Churches into a new denomination, the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In April 1968, the E.U.B. Church joined with the Methodist Church becoming the United Methodist denomination. At this time the church adopted the name, Christ United Methodist Church.
Since then, Christ United Methodist Church has been serving the Continental area in various ways with school supply donations, community lunches, serving the food pantry and so on.
We have a very rich and faithful history in loving God and serving our community. We are excited and hopeful for the incredible future that God is leading us into.